May 2, 2021
Order of Worship May 9 2021
Prelude – “Serenade of Love” by Dino Kartsonakis and Nathan DiGesare - Performed by Echo Wilson
Handbells – “People Need The Lord” - Arr. Michael Ryan; Directed by Rocky Buchanan
Welcome & Opening Prayer – Rev. Joe Chamness
“Where Charity and Love Prevail” - 549 – UMH
1. Where charity and love prevail, there God is ever found;
brought here together by Christ’s love, by love are we thus bound.
2. With grateful joy and holy fear true charity we learn;
let us with heart and mind and strength now love Christ in return.
3.. Forgive we now each other’s faults as we our faults confess;
and let us love each other well in Christian holiness.
4. Let strife among us be unknown, let all contention cease;
be Christ the glory that we seek, be ours his holy peace.
5. Let us recall that in our midst dwells God’s begotten Son;
as members of his body joined, we are in him made one.
6. Love can exclude no race or creed if honored be God’s name;
our common life embraces all whose Maker is the same.
*Affirmation of Faith #881 – The Apostles’ Creed –Arthur Harris
I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord:
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried;
the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
Handbell Choir - “Canon of Grace” - Arr. Linda R. Lamb; Directed by Rocky Buchanan
Moment in the Middle – w/Squeaky
1st Scripture Reading – Romans 12:9-18 – Arthur Harris
Choral Anthem – “A Servant in Your Heavenly House” - Pepper Choplin; Directed by Rocky Buchanan
Pastoral Prayer – Rev. Henry Radde
The Lord’s Prayer – Rev. Henry Radde
Hymn of Preparation: “A Mother Lined a Basket” – 2189 – TFWS
1. A mother lined a basket to keep her baby dry, then rocked him on a river, lest he awake and cry.
She let a princess name him her son that he might live. God’s people had a leader.
She had such hope to give.
2. A mother sewed a jacket lined in the softest wool, then dressed her little boy-child, her cup of blessing full.
She brought him to the temple where he would serve and live. God’s people had a prophet.
She had such faith to give.
3. A mother laid her baby in manger lined with straw; then, in the shepherd’s story, his call from God foresaw.
She nurtured him and taught him the way that he must live. God’s people had a savior.
She had such love to give.
4. Like Jochebed and Hannah, and Mary, too, we know the hardest part of loving is learning to let go.
So when we send our children out in the world to live, grant us such hope and faith, God, and love enough to give.
Scripture & Sermon – Rev. Joe Chamness (1 John 4:16b-21, “Love”)
Closing Hymn: “When Love Is Found” - 643 – UMH
1. When love is found and hope comes home, sing and be glad that two are one.
When love explodes and fills the sky, praise God and share our Maker’s joy.
2. When love has flowered in trust and care, build both each day,
that love may dare to reach beyond home’s warmth and light, to serve and strive for truth and right.
3. When love is tried as loved ones change, hold still to hope though all seems strange,
till ease returns, and love grows wise through listening ears and opened eyes.
4. When love is torn and trust betrayed, pray strength to love till torments fade,
till lovers keep no score of wrong, but hear through pain love’s Easter song.
5. Praise God for love, praise God for life, in age or youth, in husband, wife.
Lift up your hearts, let love be fed through death and life in broken bread.
Closing Remarks & Benediction – Rev. Joe Chamness
Benediction Response: “He Lives” – 310 – UMH (Refrain Only)
He lives, he lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me along life’s narrow way.
He lives, he lives, salvation to impart! You ask me how I know he lives?
He lives within my heart.
Organ Postlude – “Bind Us Together” Arr. By Mark Hayes - Performed by Echo Wilson